Friday, April 15, 2011

Mussels, Mummers, and Mainlanders


Mussel


Hey me ducky, me and the missus were out mummering last night, and on the way home we stopped to the pub, I tell you the place was maggoty with mainlanders! We had such the time we're going again tonight, you want to come?

-----
Maggoty - in large numbers.

Mainlander - one who lives in continental North America or its adjacent islands outside Newfoundland and Labrador.

Make away with - to kill.

Me ducky - a friendly way to address someone.

Missus - wife.

Mudder - mother.

Mummer - a disguised person who goes door to door during the 12 days of Christmas to have fun and merriment. (also called janney)

-----
I'm happy to report that the semester is over, and that I finished it off with an 81 average! WAHOO!! I'm not done yet, still have one hurdle to jump before they let me graduate, a seven stage comprehensive (Tuesday afternoon) that requires a minimum mark of 70. I'm blocking off a few hours today to blog hop, then back to it.

22 comments:

  1. Great Aquatic view.I love the shot.Well done.Plz do pass by my blog on freeing your mind, follow and comment to improve my works too.Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the 81...good luck on the comprehensive...I'm sure you'll nail it. I feel a celebration coming on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. congrats on the successful end of the semester! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. After stopping by each morning now for a long stretch of road, I'm beginning to think using the words I find in your blog... LOL Thank you again for another treat. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Me Ducky!!! Congrats on the end of the semester!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. In Leicester, UK, that beginning piece would read 'ey up, me duck...' It's quite similar, isn't it!

    Good luck with the rest of your exams.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd like to hear more about this mummering. Sounds like an interesting tradition.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck with the exams. Thanks for visiting my blog :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the ring this one has when I read it!

    Wishing good luck on the comprehensive! Almost done.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd heard the word mummer before but didn't know what it meant.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm loving these terms. Congrats on the score and I wish you well on the 7 part comprehensive. Fingers and toes crossed for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the greeting Me Ducky!! Checking you out from the A to Z challenge. Stop on by my world and catch up on some of my random thoughts :)

    Tiffani

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well done, I enjoyed it! Congrats on being almost done~ Good Luck...go study! :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely memories; my grandmother used to call me 'ducky' or 'ducks'. It was a loving term of endearment which I'd forgotten till now. Sue@JumpingAground (Alliteration & drabbles)
    Sue@traverselife(Workplace bullying)

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh, I forgot to say, good luck, almost party time!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your blog! I love all the M words. Some are the same as Kiwi English, but a few are new. I especially like mudder - Here, I am a mummy.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Me ducky! I love that! I'm not so sure how happy I am with "make away with", though. It sounds oddly reassuring...

    Yay for end of semester - good luck with the rest :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Mummers! ooh what a word! Love what you've been doing for the challenge:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I feel like I am reading another language. I love it. Your voice comes through loud and clear. Great job on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Mummers are also grown men who dress up in these elaborate feather costumes and strut their stuff (mum?) on the streets of Philadelphia on New Years Day. I am not kidding. Google "Mummers Day Parade." It's kooky, I tell ya.

    ReplyDelete