Saturday, April 19, 2014

Quinoa (doesn't really rymthe with anything does it)




Pronounced "keen-wah",  this easy to prepare little seed is related to spinach and swiss chard.  It contains more vitamins, nutrients, and antioxidants than any other grain. In fact, you’ll get an impressive list of vitamin B6, thiamin, niacin, potassium, and riboflavin, plus minerals like copper, zinc, magnesium, and folate, as well as the antioxidants phytonutrients quercetin and kaempferol, which lend anti-inflammatory and disease-fighting prowess to each bowl consumed.

One cup of quinoa has about as much protein as two deli slices of chicken breast, or about 15 percent protein by weigh.

I love the mild nutty taste of white quinoa tossed with tomato, avocado, and black beans best.

8 comments:

  1. never knew how to pronounce it

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a great quinoa salad recipe that I haven't made in awhile. I really should make it. It's sooooo good. full of veggies, beans and feta cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a lot of protein.
    I've had it once and didn't care for it. But I'm told there are ways to prepare it wrong, so I'd try it again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Guess what? We have the same topic ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with Alex! I've had it several times, but it's never been a favorite. With all of that goodness, I'd better find a way to make it one. :)
    Where Legends Begin

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can get nutrition bars with this grain in it...taste is nicely masked.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never even heard about it before but it sounds great

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love quinoa. So yummy! Plus it's worth like a billion points in Scrabble.

    ReplyDelete