Tuesday, April 1, 2014

A is for Avocado

This is my fourth year participating in the A to Z challenge, the past three I focused on Newfoundland; its dialect, lore and communities.  I'm trying something a little different this year - this year I'm doing the Superfoods A to Z.





First off is the letter A which is for Avocado

Avocados are a great source of monosaturated fat (which can improve cholesterol levels, decrease risk of heart disease, and benefit brain function), vitamin E (a powerful antioxident), and vitamin B6 (which promotes healthy skin and serves as a back up fuel).
I love mashing avocado and using it in place of butter or spread or add to salads instead of mayo.

 Did you know that half a medium avocado counts as one of your 5-a-day and contains 138 calories and 14.1g fat. 

11 comments:

  1. And it makes for great guacamole!
    Good to hear from you, Baygirl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I make a avocado salad. I cut up one avocado, add some salt, pepper and salad dressing and that's it!-usually oil and vinegar or Italian dressing. I really like it:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's a shame that most people just get it for guacamole only

    ReplyDelete
  4. for some reason I have never liked the taste of avacodo but I have heard how very good it is for you

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have become addicted to them. My fiance' thinks they look like mashed up bugs. lol But I will use them in egg salad, on quesadillas, mix up a quick bit of guac for nachos, use them on salads and in sandwiches. Sometimes I just take the stone out, sprinkle season salt on it and fill the holes with salsa and eat it that way. I try to have at least 3 a week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is there a superfood for x???? And z??? Can't wait to see what you come up with for those weird letters... Happy A to Z, Baygirl!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am a huge fan the Avocado, use it on toast and wraps as a speed and eat them a ton on salads. I even put a half of one in smoothies. YUM!!! Really looking forward to seeing what all super foods you have for each letter of the alphabet... very fun. I am also participating in the challenge so I'll continue to check back in. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely idea, I also started my challenge :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Avacados are one of my favorite things ever.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never tried Avocado, but I really need to! I love your theme, I love healthy eating so it should be really interesting :)

    ReplyDelete