Thursday, July 31, 2014

I conquered it!

Well I did it!  After years of saying I was going to, I finally did it!  I was one of nearly 4200 participants to battle the 27 degree temperatures with 80% humidity at 8:00am on  Sunday morning to battle the 10 mile race.




Walking up to the start corral I was shaking with nerves, the sea of brightly colored runners daunting.  I climbed over the rope and said greeted the runners around me (I babble when I'm nervous).  The gun sounded and we shuffled forward as a group waiting for the crowd to scatter a little before picking up pace.

Did I mention how hot it was?  By the time I hit the 2.5 mile water station I was parched!  But, I kept going, listening to the pounding of feet all around me. The experience was unreal - people on the side lines were cheering, spraying runners with personal hoses, handing out water soaked sponges and ice chips, candy and raisins.  I saw several signs along the route cheering people on, there was one lady about mile 5 who had a sign declaring "free hugs" and I needed one, so I stopped to hug her and cried a little.  I shed tears a couple times when complete strangers called out my name and shouted encouragement.

Coming around the final corner I could hear names of runners being called as they crossed the finish line and it seemed so far away, I could see anxious faces awaiting their family and friends, and I wanted my family.  I kept going.

Hearing my name comping over the speaker announcing that I had indeed do it, made me spill a few more tears.  Having a finisher's medal placed around my neck and hearing "good job" stopped the tear and elicited the biggest smile possible.  I did it!


it took me 2.14 hours but I DID IT! and will do it again :)

*up next - Commander Gander! and possibly the Huffin Puffin


7 comments:

  1. Congratulations!! So awesome the crowd was supportive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations...you are an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you! Congratulations! You did it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations!! Good for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Forgot about that whole Celsius thing. I was confused when you said 27 degrees and hot! Ha!

    Congratulations on doing it! Great feeling, isn't it??

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome job---Congratulations!!! I am very proud of my finisher's medal too and I hope to do it again next year!!!!!

    ReplyDelete