Saturday, March 27, 2010

WHY I chose massage therapy

I used to have an income. I used to work 8 hours a day. I used to come home and the evenings were mine. I knew my job, how to do it, the expectations, what was acceptable and my clients. It was life. I didn't like it. I got laid off.

I opted to go back to school, and I chose a career so different from the one I knew. The most common questions I get when people find out I'm back in school? WHY? Why not just look for a new job? WHY MASSAGE?

Massage therapists practice in a variety of settings, private offices or massage therapy clinics, chiropractors’ offices, holistic health clinics, health clubs and fitness centers, spas, nursing homes and hospitals, with sports teams, and sports medicine facilities. Massage therapists can work at their clients’ offices or homes, ther are so many options available.

The hours of work are felxable, not set in stone, early mornings, late evenings, weekend there are options, not the standard 9-5.

The pay is quite good, and more insurance companies are paying for massage treatments.

The variety of people and techniques I will be using.

The satisfaction of knowing that I have helped each person who walks out the door.

Having to practise what you learn = massages 3 days a week!

I am a massage therapy student and I love it. (ok well maybe not the studying part, but the practical part) It is a tough program, but, for me going back to school in my thrities will be worth it.

1 comment:

  1. I think massage would be a great career! If I didn't have such horrible pain in my hands and arms, I think it's something I would have liked to do too. :)

    I think it's great when people find the thing that they love to do. The world would be a better place if there were less people plugging away at something that they hate. :)

    ReplyDelete